Tips to Reduce Plastic Waste
Plastic waste is one of the dangerously contributing factors in Global Warming. It is degrading the ocean ecosystems, damaging the environment, and adding pollutants to the air. Reports suggest about 30 million tons of plastic waste was generated in 2009 in the US out of which only 7 percent was retrieved for recycling. Being non-biodegradable substance, plastic constituents remain frozen in the water and eventually enter the food chain causing hazardous effects on health.
Plastic pollution undeniably is becoming a reason for grave concern day by day. It calls for the need of spreading more and more awareness among people. To take a bigger step towards eradicating this menace from our planet, it is important to start with small individual efforts. Just like “every drop in the ocean counts”, every responsible step we take can make a bigger, positive effect on the whole.
Here are top 5 valuable tips which can help us reduce plastic usage considerably in our daily lives and control the perilous wastes.
1. Use reusable bags instead of plastic bags. A single plastic bag takes up to 1,000 years to decompose. Hence switch to reusable, eco-friendly bags like the paper bags, which are 100% biodegradable and easy to recycle.
2. Avoid using plastic straws for whatever you eat. It contains a chemical named Bisphenol-A which can lead to heart diseases, reproductive disorders, diabetes, prostate cancer, and other critical body conditions. Instead start using straws made of glass, paper, stainless steel, and titanium straws.
3. Use recyclable, non-plastic water bottles. The Single-use Plastic Bottles are not only harmful to the environment but also unsafe for animals. The hydro flasks and the insulated stainless steel bottles are a great alternative to plastic.
4. Shop for your groceries in bulk. This helps in minimizing the packaging. Also, avoid purchasing frozen food materials as they use tremendous plastic packaging. Instead of buying packaged fruit juice, drink freshly squeezed juice which is healthier and also better for the environment.
5. Avoid using plastic scrubbers. Rather use a cotton kitchen cloth or a coconut coir brush for doing the dishes. Likewise, the disposable wipes can be replaced by cotton facecloths.
If we can practice the above notions with all of our heart, overcoming this menace would not be as challenging as it seems now. So let’s spread awareness and help make Earth a better place!
Encourage Plastic-Free Living. Spread Awareness!
Watch the below Video to Know More